lauantai 10. elokuuta 2013

This week's music inspiration

Because I've finally again been doing some writing (I started a novel or a novella or whatever it's going to be like four years ago), I've been listening to a lot of music that could help me get the thoughts and the ideas that I need on to paper.
Yes. I write on paper first. With a pencil.
It makes my life a lot more difficult, since I have to copy the text on my computer every once in a while and that's usually after writing about 30+ pages of A4s full, and it's really annoying. But. I can't write directly on my computer, the words just don't come out write, I need the feel of the paper and the pen and the scratching sound to make the right mood.

So
I also need music. Not always, sometimes silence is the only way to really get to the point of what I was trying to make in that minute, but mostly I do listen to music. Especially when I'm rewriting the things onto my computer. And yeah, of course I have to rewrite. I should probably rewrite like a hundred times, but since I'm mostly doing this for me, it's just the one rewrite for now.

So here's my inspiration for this weeks writing and all that I've written during the Summer:


Choir of Young Believers - Hollow Talk.
Heard this the first time while watching a Danish/Swedish crime series called Bron:Broen.


Abney Park - End of Days.
Makes sense in a way that mostly I get help from these, because the setting is sort of dieselpunk. Actually I suppose it's nothing other than dieselpunk.


Abney Park - Victorian Vigilante.
Especially for my last chapter I've been writing on, this has really helped with the unbelievable melody.


Abney Park - I am Stretched on Your Grave.


Tennessee Ernie Ford - 16 Tons.
As most of the characters have at least some or only a working class background and the whole setting is in a world like this, where all your life belongs to the corporation, it's made a huge impact on me. Besides, Ernie's got one hell of a voice ;)


The Pretty Reckless - Make Me Wanna Die.
Actually this is just to make me feel better ;)



Country Joe McDonald - Feel Like I'm Fixing to Die.
Actually a lot of old anti-Vietnam wars are a great source of inspiration for writing anything about any sort of revolt. I think. Anyways...


Anti-Flag - You've Got To Die For Your Government.
Falls for me under the same category. Also one of my favourite songs for years now....especially love the end. The jump.

3 kommenttia:

  1. WOW. "I Am Stretched On Your Grave" is just awesome in every way. I had only heard Sinéad O'Connor's version of it (which is perfect too) and didn't even know other version existed! Thank you for all these songs! :) And good luck with writing!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I actually never listened to the other versions, but after this I did and I still prefer Abney Park's :D I think it shows much more feeling.

      Poista
    2. Oh and there are _so_ many versions of I Am Stretched On Your Grave, even more seeing as it's from an old Irish poem, so there are all the original Irish versions too!

      Poista